Christmas-time is here! Happiness and…cookies.
I don’t know what it is, but I have the Christmas bug bad this year. As soon as Thanksgiving was over, I was ready to whip out my Christmas playlist and deck the halls. It’s my third Christmas in NYC this year and the second Christmas in my Peter Cooper apartment with my dog and I think I’m just having the urge to nest. So, to satisfy these Christmas-y nesting urges, I have a to do list this holiday season. It is:
- Get advent calendar and take turns opening it and eating the chocolate hiding beneath the flaps
- Get tree and decorate it
- Go to the Union Square Holiday Market and browse
- Make roll-out cookies and decorate said cookies
- Blast Christmas music and sing along
- Have a pre-Christmas apartment Christmas party with holiday foods and desserts and wine
This past weekend, I completed #1,2 and 4. #2 was slightly stressful due to the OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced trees that is the norm here in Manhattan. I don’t want to talk about how much we dropped to get a 4 footer. #4 was really important to me. I needed to make these cookies to prove to myself that being GF during the holidays is doable and delicious too. I didn’t want to make the dough myself because I’m a baby, so instead I bought the Gluten Free Pantry cake and cookie mix. I’ve had previously successful experiences with it as a drop cookie because it tastes completely gluten-filled and non-xanthan gumm-y. But, turning this mix into a roll-out cookie dough was not as easy as I thought and I had to enlist the help of my cookie baker friend extraordinaire, Caitlyn.